Music Musings :
Digital Playlist: Herman Rarebell
July 28, 2010 , 11:00 am | By Bryan Reesman
1. LED ZEPPELIN “Good Times Bad Times” — It has the best foot pedal work from John Bonham ever.
2. LED ZEPPELIN “Kashmir” — The drumming is excellent — the heaviness, the way he lays the way down the beat.
3. LED ZEPPELIN “In My Time Of Dying” — I love the drumming in there, and the preciseness with how he plays this is unbelievable. That’s probably the best drumming he did ever.
4. THE YARDBIRDS “For Your Love” — They were a big influence in my life. The beat change in there was just really
heavy and something unusual.
5. THE KINKS “You Really Got Me” — This really got me when it came out. [sings riff] That was classic. I was fourteen years old and very impressed by that stuff. Even when I listen to the Kinks now, I crank up the radio because it brings back memories of those times.
Live versions of Herman’s picks: “Good Times Bad Times,” “Kashmir,” “In My Time Of Dying,” The Yardbirds and The Kinks.
Other Digital Playlists:
- "Sanctuary" Defiled: Part One
- Dark Illusions
- High Seas Hijinks Aboard The U.S.S. Sir Ivan's Castle
- Barbara Bain Looks Back But Stays Forward Focused
- Blackie Lawless Renounces His Past Sins
- Revisiting the PMRC and their "Filthy Fifteen" List 25 Years Later
- How Many Producers and Writers Does It Take To Make A Great Song?
- Geezer Butler Discusses Veganism, Religion, Politics, Surveillance, and Life Lessons
- Sarah McLachlan Talks Motherhood, Lilith Fair, and Women in Music
- Judas Priest Roar Into The Hard Rock Cafe