Music Musings :
Hard Rock & Metal
Inside the First Annual Idle Hands Heavy Metal Holiday Party
December 20, 2012 , 7:51 pm | By Bryan Reesman
A new holiday tradition was started last night at the Idle Hands bar in the East Village as many music industry insiders and their friends descended into a metal maelstrom complete with all the spirits you could drink. It was not too hard for Drumhead managing editor Heather Smith and I to convince Idle Hands owners Marc Schapiro and the Rev. Dave Ciancio to invite all our peeps out for one last party before the industry shuts down for 2012 and we all go into a Yuletide stupor. (Assuming that the world doesn’t end this week.) Nor was it hard to bring Jö Schüftan (Horns Up Rocks), Bram Teitelman (Metal Insider) and Ben Umanov (MetalSucks) to co-host, promote and DJ at the event. Bram even taught me the basics of DJing so I could mix things up myself.
It was a raucous night, and I wager at least 200 of our friends showed up. Our Mrs. Santa (Heather) sold raffle tickets for plenty of cool prizes: a $50 Idle Hands Bar Tab, a one-year subscription to Drumhead, a Children of Bodom skate deck, a Black Metal XMas ornament and assorted Centruy Media CDs, over 50 CDs from The End Records, an autographed The Darkness cowbell, and an autographed Duff McKagan Loaded CD, among other prizes from Prosthetic Records, Freeman Promotions, Eagle Rock and Spinefarm. A total of $287 was raised for victims of Hurricane Sandy and sent to The Mayor’s Fund for Hurricane Relief. Awesome.
Happy holidaze, everyone!
- Blackie Lawless Renounces His Past Sins
- Frolicking at Castlestock
- Joey Belladonna: Back In The Saddle With Anthrax
- Ozric Tentacles Lose Entire Archives In Fire
- The Key To John Petrucci's Success? His Wife.
- Liner Notes
- Barbara Bain Looks Back But Stays Forward Focused
- Scott Rockenfield: The Rock of the Rÿche
- Charles Dance Talks "Neverland," "Underworld: Awakening" and "Game Of Thrones"
- What's A Sweet Gal Like You Doing In A Bloody Show Like This?